Monday, August 18, 2008

I did it!


Whew what a Sunday! I did the most competitive thing I have done in my entire adult life. Seriously giving birth to three healthy babies was cake compared to the swim leg of the Ironbabe Sprint Triathlon. It was INTENSE.... and I made it. That feels good. I competed, I kicked, swam, kicked, swam and I made it out of that water. I worked hard on the bike, I love the way I feel on the bike, one more push... just one more. It's awesome. The run... well, I have never been called fast, in fact it's absurd to watch me run... some could power walk as fast as I "run" but whatever, I did it. 45 in my class (30-35 yr olds, even though I am only 29) and 195 out of 400 overall. I went in just wanting to finish, check, I didn't want to die, check, and I didn't want to be last, check. Goal attained. I am proud of myself. Cody was there with the kiddos. Thank you so much to him for the effort of getting them up and out the door at such an ungodly hour, that was a tri in itself with the Stoney leg, then the JoLee leg, and finishing with the Case leg. He was there and that was powerful for me. He's my rock, really the only family support I have and he is proud of me. I can't ask for more than that. My friend Karen rocked it out for this race, 18 in the class, 60 overall, she is phenomenal and I wouldn't have even thought about this race without her. She is driven, competitive and supportive, she is a really good friend and as much as I wanted to run away right before the horn blew, she was right there beside me and that gave me courage.
When I ran out of the water, before and after the bike and before and after the run and heard Cody, the kids, Brian, the miller kids, Christina, Lynn, Terry, Derick, Doreen, Erin and their kiddos, cheering for me, jumping and yelling, holding signs that read, "Go mom!" I got chills. It was emotional. Seriously to know they were there caring about me, rooting me on, Christina camera in hand, knowing I wanted good solid proof that I was there, it was those moments that got me through. Sweet Kathy gave us a shout out that morning in church, and I know we were in Annie's thoughts all day.
My mom was the only person who didn't react in shock when I told her I was going to do a triathlon, she simply said, "that's good, you can do it." My next race is Sept 7th. A little shorter, a little less competitive but a goal nonetheless. The MS 150 is exactly 8 months away. This race was just for fun...that one's going to be personal... I'm looking forward to it.
Rm

No comments: